18 1/4 oz white or yellow cake mix
2 c melted butter pecan ice cream (measure melted not frozen)
3 large eggs
8 oz neufchatal cream cheese, softened (light cream cheese)
1/2 c powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
BANANA FOSTER FILLING:
1/2 c packed light brown sugar
3 Tbsp butter (no substitutions)
1 1/2 c finely chopped firm right bananas (about 2 large)
1/4 c pecans, chopped
1/2 tsp rum extract
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 c butter, room temp.
3 1/2 c powdered sugar
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c heavy whipping cream
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray to round cake pans with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. For Cake: In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, melted ice cream and eggs on medium speed for 3 minutes. Pour into prepared pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Do NOT over bake! Remove and allow to cool completely. Trim and level cakes as necessary.
3. For Filling: In a separate mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth and creamy. Spread over top of bottom cake layer. (I prefer a thin layer but use as much as you like.) Now prepare frosting before the Banana Foster filling. You may wish to also prepare whipped cream topping and place in fridge until needed.
Domestic Goddess Cake
4. Caramel Frosting: In a mixing bowl, cream margarine (or butter) using a mixer. Slowly add in powdered sugar a little at a time until smooth and creamy. In a small separate bowl, microwave brown sugar and water 30-60 seconds, stirring once, just until the sugar is dissolved and mixture is bubbling. (You don’t want it gritty!) Let stand for a few minutes to cool. Pour into margarine mixture and beat on high speed. Beat in vanilla until all ingredients are well incorporated and smooth. Set aside.
5. Whipped Topping: (if desired) Preferably in a chilled mixing bowl with chilled beaters, beat whipping cream and sugar until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until needed.
6. Banana Foster Filling: Melt butter in skillet over med-high heat. Stir in brown sugar. Add remaining ingredients and continue to stir until caramelized and sugar is well dissolved. Cool slightly. Pour half the mixture over cream cheese on bottom cake layer. Place top cake layer onto the banana filling on bottom layer and press lightly to set.
7. Frost with caramel frosting in two layers. (The crumb layer and the presentation layer.) Carefully pour remaining banana mixture on top of cake. Pipe whipped cream around top edge. If desired, press chopped pecans to sides of cake. Serve immediately.
Last Step: Don’t forget to share!