Bake these festive, crisp, buttery cut-out cookies and decorate them with a tinted glaze for any occasion.
1 cup Butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 large Egg
2 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon Butter, softened
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon vanilla, if desired
Food color, if desired
Decorator candies, sugars, etc., if dersired
How to make
- STEP 1Combine 1 cup butter, sugar and egg in bowl. Beat at medium speed, until creamy. Add milk and 1 tablespoon vanilla. Continue beating, scraping bowl often, until well mixed. Add flour and baking powder; beat at low speed, scraping bowl often, until well mixed.
- STEP 2Divide dough in thirds. Shape each third into a ball on plastic food wrap. Wrap in plastic food wrap; flatten to 1/2 inch. Refrigerate 2-3 hours or until firm.
- STEP 3Heat oven to 400°F.
- STEP 4Roll out dough on lightly floured surface, one-third at a time (keeping remaining dough refrigerated), to 1/8 to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut with cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake 6-10 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool completely.
- STEP 5Combine powdered sugar, water, 1 tablespoon butter, corn syrup and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in bowl; mix until powdered sugar is moistened. Beat at medium speed until smooth, adding additional water if necessary, to reach desired glazing consistency. Tint with food color, if desired.
- STEP 6Glaze cooled cookies. Add decorator candies, if desired. Let stand 6 hours or overnight until glaze is hardened.